It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nodiz on XR2TT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 am 

I finally got around to starting the install of a Nodiz ECU on the TT over the weekend and I have to say what an absolute doddle of an install!!

In terms of the actual unit and wiring, I reckon it only took 2 hours from having a bare loom to having the ECU in the footwell, coilpack wired but floating about in the bay (because my ignition leads aren't long enough to properly mount it) and the engine up and running! That includes drilling the bulkhead and all the awkward routing of wires. Of course there were a few hours previous to this weekend in mounting a triggerwheel and crank sensor to the old CVH donkey.

So far so good then, next job is route a MAP hose into the footwell for the ECU's onboard MAP sensor, mount the coilpack and then get out for a test! I'm looking forward to playing with all the features and downloading the android digi dash :D

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE!

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

Post subject: Re: Nodiz on XR2TT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am 

American sohc will maybe have plug leads that will fit. Zetec boots will look a bit daft.

I'm not recomending these, just to show you what they look like. Uses same coilpack as blacktop zetec.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPARK-PLUG-WIRE ... 83&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

Keep the post goin m8 bin thinking about nodiz for my tt conversion list of parts / pics would b very nice cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

YellowCapri wrote:
American sohc will maybe have plug leads that will fit. Zetec boots will look a bit daft.

I'm not recomending these, just to show you what they look like. Uses same coilpack as blacktop zetec.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPARK-PLUG-WIRE ... 83&vxp=mtr

Hmm cheers for the info - is that my only option? Only available from the US? Bit of an arse if so :(

Will update this post with some pics and more info once I've got things a bit further along. The hardest part was gathering the crank position sensor parts from a 1.8 CVH (sierra) and adapting them to fit the 1600. I had a triggerwheel lasercut and mounted it by my own design then adapted the 1.8 sensor mount to bolt on to the lower cam belt cover. I am sure there are more off-the-shelf solutions than what I did though (see triggerwheels).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 am 

You could try some VAG ht leads on the blacktop coilpack. Connections look similar.

Maybe mk2 golf gti 8v?

You get universal leads but they are usually crap and expensive. At least with a propper set you can get a decent make.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am 

what's the issue exactly with the leads and coilpack?
what leads are you using?
surely the leads should be long enough, does the coil fit to a frst/xr2i coil pack bracket?
try that as an option, as it's a direct fit.
what i did was use megaleads xrr2 leads and drilled out the coil pack centres a bit and trimmed down the plastic so they go in well.
i still have the leads and coil pack i used and didn't have any issues on the zvh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 am 

Sean XR2 ZT wrote:
what's the issue exactly with the leads and coilpack?
what leads are you using?
surely the leads should be long enough, does the coil fit to a frst/xr2i coil pack bracket?
try that as an option, as it's a direct fit.
what i did was use megaleads xrr2 leads and drilled out the coil pack centres a bit and trimmed down the plastic so they go in well.
i still have the leads and coil pack i used and didn't have any issues on the zvh.

The issue is length as I just bought leads for a focus. I think (unless someone tells me otherwise) I may have made an error in going for the later type coilpack (I did this to allow interchangeability with our duratec mk indy) which I suspect means that non of the old XR2i/frst stuff is applicable?

After a visit to the local motorfactors armed with the coil and leads I have come away with some vauxhall leads that will hopefully do the trick. Not ideal but gets me going. If/when this coilpack gives up (which allegedly the later ones do) I may look to get the older one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am 

later ones do have a habbit of overheating and cracking the casing letting moisture in, but they are cheap to replace.
when you say focus leads, i'm assuming you mean zetec, in that case they are shorter for sure.
frst/xr2i/3i gear would have been better for the cvh i would think.