It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: freindly advice required
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:05 pm 

i am converting my standard xr2 to run mfi erst running gear i know about fitting the engine and cutting the crossmember for the t3 or altering the downpipe, i know i will need to change the fuel tank but what else? do i need to change the fuel lines for larger bore, how much wiring involved and are there any problems this conversion will cause.
thanks in advance :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:29 pm 

you will need to move your rad fan,wiring it up can be a pain but there is a bit on retro fiesta that tells you how to do it,you will need to put your batt in the boot because the fuel filter and acculimator and the metering unit will be in the way and as for the fuel lines i think the standard ones will be ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:33 pm 

cool cheers dude. not doin it until it runs out of tax next month but getting all the aprts ready for it. was gonna go efi but got loads of new gen ford mfi stuff in the shed so thought may as well use it for a bit. got a big valve, polished and ported head with a cam in it tonight too.
cant wait to get her running and give the local pillocks a good hiding.
bloody 200 sx's and saxo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm 

sounds like its going to be a nice spec when its done,will you be taking it to fitp in may,what brakes are you going to be using on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:56 pm 

you can run a standard tank and run an external pump and pump it to a fuel swirl pot( collection pot) so when you go round corners it doesnt starve the fuel injection pump ,but for 80-100 quid you can buy a tank with one built in ,
the battery in the boot is a good idea, get a transit battery tray and bolt it too the drivers side boot floor, the cable can be bought from a good auto electricians , make sure its thick enough and well enough insulated , i bought the other day for the other fiesta a little fused conection box that has a bar fuse in it, ideal for this very purpose to connect the fiesta loom with the adapted rst loom and the starter motor wiring ect, the box cost about 8 quid , the wire cost me 36 quid for a whole roll (enough for two cars) as for the fuel lines I bought braided injecton fuel line and had a local hose firm put the ends on and test it to 200 psi ,this is abit over the top but i want to run a higher presure pump ,the actual fuel tank to pump is gravity fed so think about how your going to get the fuel to either your main fuel pump or collection pot
cheers
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 pm 

cheers matt. was gonna mount it like the s2's using s2 pump and bracket, heard fiesta centre do the tanks are these any good. didnt know about about the transit battery tray. how many more wires are there to connect up for the turbo engine? got a mate who s good with elecs but would be v helpful to know as much as poss meself

rob: dont think it will be at fitp cos i am getting married in june so spending money on that at the mo and the car is getting full rebuild as well and colour change too. want it all proper and mint but shouild be back out towards the end of the show season. would love it to be done for the rs nat day so i can show them how it should be done as some of them aint too friendly. think im gonna run cossie calipers and rs2k discs possible rear disc conversion too, i know it aint necc but i hate rear shoes and cylinders.lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 pm 

hi bud ,I have a fiesta center tank and had no probs , the transit tray is flat with the holes in convienient holes for bolts, and its ford and cheap lol,
as for the wiring there is a or was a site that explained everything , and how to modify the loom for the fiesta , that left a few perm lives , ign lives and the rest is earths,
it used tgo be called A11 XRT if i can remeber right? , somone will know lol,
it was a usefull site apart form they used to say they could change the engine and wire it in a couple of hours , a tad optomistic lol especially with a trolley jack
cheers
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:22 pm 

i didnt know that the transit tray would fit ,ive got a battery box tray thing out of a mk6 fiesta to go in mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:49 pm 

transit parts are so cheap £7 for the tray
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:11 pm 

mattb wrote:
hi bud ,I have a fiesta center tank and had no probs , the
it used tgo be called A11 XRT if i can remeber right? , somone will know lol,
it was a usefull site apart form they used to say they could change the engine and wire it in a couple of hours , a tad optomistic lol especially with a trolley jack
cheers
matt

Lol as the author of the site, I'll make sure I edit that bit ;)

A couple of hours to swap the engine maybe (and yes that is with a trolley jack).. I could get the whole thing dusted in a weekend (parts permitting) Once I've finished my current project I may even time myself just for a laugh..