It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Injection Tank Fitting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 pm 

Slowly getting my Mk2 ready to fit the TT set-up. I have taken the standard fuel tank off this evening to replace with the injection tank I have from a 1.4i. I have a large outlet one side which I assume plumbs into a fuel pump mounted to the tank? The smaller outlet the opposite side I am assuming is the return? What do you then do with the feeds from the tank sensor? Once the fuel pump is fitted where is the best location to connect power to it? Can I use the tank until I fit my TT set-up or am I better off running the standard tank until then.

Any advice on what pump to use, fitment, changes I need to make and pictures would be great. I have searched, but not managed to quite find the answer to all my questions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:13 pm 

Will you need a injection tank for a tt kit? if you do just block the ones on top of the sender.

I would have the pump running through a relay and earthed to the body, make sure your pump is not touching anything metal when you mount it tho.

chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:03 pm 

No.
Don't need an injection tank for a TT setup.
The carb takes care of all that.

Jason

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:02 pm 

Thought so.

Do they use a mechanical lift pump as well or low pressure electric pump?

Nice if it uses the lift pump, will save you a couple of £££

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:16 pm 

You can download a legal copy of the turbo technics installation manual from my website.

Jason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:00 pm 

Cheers for the replies. I have cleaned my standard tank up tonight and painted it gloss black. Replaced the rubber hoses and will refit Friday.

Will I just need a low pressure pump in the engine bay? Any recommendations? Might as well put the injection tank up for sale!!!!

I will download the instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:06 pm 

Make sure you have a good earth connection between the tank and the car body.
Painted tanks often cause a problem here....

Without it, the sender won't work.

Jason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:14 am 

Beau wrote:
Cheers for the replies. I have cleaned my standard tank up tonight and painted it gloss black. Replaced the rubber hoses and will refit Friday.

Will I just need a low pressure pump in the engine bay? Any recommendations? Might as well put the injection tank up for sale!!!!

I will download the instructions.

What sort of price you thinking for the tank out of interest mate? Ive got an S2 rs turbo engine in mine and at the min I've got 2 pumps in the boot and a swirl pot. One lift pump from the standard tank to the swirl pot and then the high pressure fuel pump from swirl pot to the engine.
Car is stripped out so having pumps buzzing away in the back gets a bit annoying.

Thanks Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:59 am 

You need a high pressure pump for a tt setup to work well. Ideally I would say run the injection tank with an injection pump with the proper carb turbo pressure regulator for the best results. A low pressure pump will not be enough once you start running over 5psi boost and a injection pump will be noisy and won't last sucking fuel from a std tank.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:37 pm 

williamson@pe wrote:
You need a high pressure pump for a tt setup to work well. Ideally I would say run the injection tank with an injection pump with the proper carb turbo pressure regulator for the best results. A low pressure pump will not be enough once you start running over 5psi boost and a injection pump will be noisy and won't last sucking fuel from a std tank.

In two minds now!!! Take a S2 RS Turbo pump will be fine for my needs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:49 pm 

Yea it will do the job fine.

Honestly esp if you have a tank your better off using it. Yes you can get away without it but it will be a much better setup with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:01 pm 

williamson@pe wrote:
Yea it will do the job fine.

Honestly esp if you have a tank your better off using it. Yes you can get away without it but it will be a much better setup with it.

Nice one. Thank you for the reply. Gonna keep hold of the tank now and get a pump fitted to it ready for when I do the engine swap so it will just be a case of unbolting the old tank and fitting the injection on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:52 pm 

as zak has said, best to run the injection tank.
originally tt setups used a standard tank with a larger fuel return pipe (although the fuel return in the sender is tiny so not sure why they bothered with a bigger return line, as it bottle necks there anyhow).
however this did rely on using a pierberg fuel pump (from an r5gtt) which sucked fuel, so negated the need to be below the fuel level in the tank or use a swirl pot.
they worked ok, small enough to fit in engine bay and fairly quiet.
if you want to push the power up much, then an rst pump or even better a cossie fuel pump is better, but you do need a swirl pot as they really don't like air in the system as it uses fuel to lubricate the pump itself.
you can always go external swirl pot, but extra pumps and hoses can introduce cost, noise and fuel vapour to the car.

in summary, try the injection tank, got to be decent enough for most peoples needs i'd have thought.