It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie needs help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm 

Hi all I am new to the site and this is my first post. I am currently building a mk2 xr2 frst on ofac management. The engine and box are in and a cosworth fuel pump fitted on top of where rear seats were. I first read the how to on go mod it blog and then realised I have different management so searched and come across rabs diagram for wiring up. Now I have followed the diagram but I can't get the pump to prime and the relay isn't clicking in. The fuel injection relay is clicking on with ignition and there is clicking from inlet manifold area at the same time. I have read post after post after post to try find a solution but nothing so far. I am also getting no spark and am yet to test the crank sensor but will be trying by the weekend. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am 
Badboy Moderator

If you are using an external bosch pump, you'll need to gravity feed it for a start (it's a push pump not a pull type) - else you'll burn it out.

Wait for the EECIV chaps to chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 pm 

So it will need to be mounted below the line of the tank? Where would you recommend? Would this cause my pump not to prime cause the relay and pump makes no noise but when I connect the pump straight to a power source it spins up?

Hopefully not too long cause I'm itching for a drive.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:30 pm 

check the 2 engine loom earths are connected/clean.

have you got a injection tank? you can mount the pump just to the left of the outlet.
make sure the pump body is not earthed.

Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 pm 

I don't have an injection tank just the original xr2 one. Is this gonna be a problem? I have 2 browns on one terminal going straight to battery on right hand side and another is connected to inner wing area on left. Are these the ones? The pump is bolted directly to body with a metal carrier so will get this lifted or moved from body and try again.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:40 pm 

You will need a injection tank mate unless you drive around with a full tank all the time or go external swirl pot, I would forget spark etc until you get the pump priming properly. I have used that wiring diagram on 4 cars and its spot on, maybe double check your wiring aswell just to be sure.

chris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:06 pm 

After checking all the obvious things:

Double check your wiring
Inspect the OFAC loom carefully, it is a good 20 years old
Check all fuses
Check all earths
Ensure you have the right relays
Try swapping the two relays over
Try powering the pump directly to ensure the pump isn't jammed solid

After those things you'll need a multimeter or at least a test light. From Rab's diagram you'll see the EUC controls the pump with a switched earth. With help from a friend to turn the key check the ECU is actually switching that earth.

If you tick all those off and you still have nothing you'll need to get someone with a car running on OFAC to try your ECU on their car and see how it behaves. I would advise against putting a known good ECU on your car because if you've wired something arse about face and bricked your ECU you'll do the same to the known gooden.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:19 pm 

Sorry for delayed reply just been struggling to get in the garage with work and all that. I checked the crank sensor earlier and it shows no resistance on the multimeter so I need to get one. I thought maybe my wiring was at fault but I've checked and rechecked and all seems right. I shall get the sensor and try again. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:59 am 

dont frst's have inertia switches fitted? i know my efi 3i did in the spare wheel well. if thats not connected/took out of the loom or if its tripped you'll get no power to the pump.