It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: bit of help please
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

Sorry for long post. Right I been have trouble with my mfi turbo engine it's been smoking it's t.ts off and not running right so checked the time and was a tooth out so adjusted that and ran car but continued to cut out. Pulled the engine apart today and found the all the valves are seated properly had a wiggle to see if any moved. 2nd inlet valve will spin freely as other won't. Then start to look at pistons it looks like in the past a cambelt has snapped as the there are valve marks on all four pistons on exhaust side. The pistons them self move slightly from side to side is this normal. Piston 3 has got more move mentioned than any of the others have any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: bit of help please
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:40 pm 

Sounds like it needs a rebuild.

It might work out alot cheaper just to get a replacement engine if you can find a good second hand one.

Alot of places will rebuild your engine but I would budget for £1k for a standard rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:06 pm 

Ok cheers mate engine has got .5 pistons and ring was rebuilt not so long bk by previous owner guessing not a good rebuild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm 

Alot of people try to do rebuilds on the cheap then the engine doesn't last long, even on expensive engines people bodge stuff to save a couple £.

You shouldn't have any movement in the pistons against the bores really as the clearance will be very small. Haynes says a standard cvh is less than 2 thou clearance which is VERY small. I guess an RS turbo would be slightly more than this.

If you have a reciept for the rebuild it might be under warrenty, if it was a DIY job they have maybe just honed the bores with a drill to fit the bigger pistons and not done a very good job.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 pm 

Cheers for advice might see if it's worth going zetec as it's second engine I've had now.