It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm 

I know this has been discussed to death but my requirements are probably not the usual.

I've got my car running on EFI Turbo CVH - I think the engine is likely a bit tired and I can't see the point in rebuilding a CVH unless you want originality, which I don't care about.

As I have already got an EFI turbo lump I'm thinking I want to retain as much of everything as I can to keep the costs as sensible as possible.

From the engine I'd not be looking to make a certain power figure, but I want to build a usable road going car that goes well. As a rough estimate of what I'd say "goes well" means I'd say 200-250 ponies will be plenty for me, I'd not ever want to exceed that.

Help me itemise the cost and confirm what I'd need to buy, correct me if the below is wrong and/or you'd go about it differently (baring in mind this isn't a batchit crazy big money build)

ST170 bottom end complete - £
Blacktop head complete - £

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:36 pm 
Badboy Moderator

Easiest route would be a ZVH - which means you can retain all your inlet, management and exhaust.

If you want a Zetec, I would get a full 2litre blacktop/silvertop, some USA rods and pistons, Area Six cams/shims and some EFi>Zetec inlet and exhaust adaptors to put things generally in the right place without going custom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm 

Management is not a worry I have megasquirt.

If I go with this I will definitely want to bin the CVH unit completely, I won't want to go ZVH.

Zetec with adaptors an is the way I'm thinking to go. I have a healthy ERST T3 which I think should be OK to start with but I'm reading that this will likely be pushed a lot harder than its comfortable with so won't last too long - Focus RS unit after that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm 
Badboy Moderator

If your budget allows - just get a full FRS engine :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:07 pm 

Budget is as little as possible really I plan to do a bit each month rather than chuck a heap if cash at it in one go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:09 pm 
Badboy Moderator

http://www.devil-developments.co.uk

Seem to be the goto crowd at the moment for Zetec Turbo's. Might be worth a call to get a ballpark for an pro-built engine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm 

Just use a standard block with a couple of manifold adapters and map to suit. Surely you'll break 200bhp at standard CR with standard internals on the blacktop? If it goes pop it's an easy replacement. If you want something a bit safer go for an FRS block.

If you spend much money on the block it's a bit pointless using the CVH manifold as you might aswell sell everything and just build a zetec turbo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:55 am 

If you need adapters give me a shout :)

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE!

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 am 

i reckon a standard blacktop block would make 200+bhp just need to swap out valve springs with st170 or uprated ones.
then a couple of adaptors and you're in business.
st170 bottom end could be a good call with a standard blacktop head (swap out valve springs as said previously).
£300-500 on full st170 engine, blacktop head would be sub £100.

adaptors less than £100, just whack it together then, although the t3 will be really pushed, may be worth a look at a cossie turbo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 pm 

That sounds like what I'm thinking to be honest, I don't want to go mad but want a reliable 200-250 mylittles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm 

b204 saab turbo lump ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 am 

Nick wrote:
b204 saab turbo lump ;)

cracking engine to base from, just making it fit gearbox or custom driveshafts are the main issues.
i think mtec were using one as the power plant for a track car they are developing, thread was on passionford not so long back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm 

looking at whats been said in the past id got st170 bottom end and blacktop head swop over the valve springs and flog on the st170 head complete maybe but state you have fited blacktop valvves i bet the sale of the st head wil pay for the blacktop head !!

you could have a block and head for £400 by time u ofset head costs agains eachother.

then as said adapter plates but i woudl defo be inclined to fit an h/o inlet with subaru injectors ok its another £150 maybe but it would be so much better imo.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:54 pm 

Is a decompression gasket not needed or just rebuild engine up with standard head gasket etc?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 am 

If your gonna buy a st bottem end may as well use the head too! Just blank off the vvt and run sensible cam timing figures. Focus rs engines seam to be fetching mega bucks last time I looked

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:52 am 

Zak some people said the large ports of st slowed boost speed down ad the smaller blacktop head helps keep flow speed up ? Seam feasable or silly ??