It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:27 pm 

Set my fuel pressure today to match what the old Haynes says - 2.5 bar at idle with the vacuum pipe disconnected and the pipe blocked off.

When I reconnected the vacuum line on the regulator the pressure actually went down a bit (car idling) when revved it does pick up a bit as it should but doesn't seem to change that much.

Messed with it because I was fairly sure the car was lean, think i've made it worse.

Does 2.5 at idle with that pipe off sound too low? Baring it mind it's more like 2 bar with the pipe back on it?

Now the car is missing all the time when revved and spluttering and generally all over the shop so it's obviously not right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 pm 
Badboy Moderator

I've got 2 Fiesta 2i/FRST Weber regulators spare if you want to try another.

I set mine exactly as you have - vac line disconnected. Dropping pressure with the Vac line on is normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:16 pm 

I have a spare I'll try that in the morning and see if it has any effect.

One concern I do have is how I have wired the pump - from the relay to the back of the car is 15 amp but the wire which feeds the relay is only 5 amp, as memory serves. I'm thinking to replace that section of wiring too to make sure there is enough juice getting to the pump.

Also today had a sod about with the TPS, on inspection it wasn't earthing very well as I had painted the inlet so cleaned all that off, cleaned the contacts and everything put it back together, made sod all difference though :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:33 am 
Badboy Moderator

Are you using a frst air temp sensor? 2i ones will cause oddness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am 

I am, although I think it may be the wrong one, I'll get a pic.

This morning's development - Haynes says the fuel pressure after a prime of the pump should be a minimum of 3 bar. Yesterday I had set my pressure with the car running and caused the problems, so today I adjusted the regulator to be 3 bar after a prime (before it was more like 2 bar) started it up and drove it and generally it seems a lot happier, although I have noticed that when I rev the car the pressure doesn't hold very well, it will raise up to around 3 bar as people say it should but it then tails off a bit, I'm really thinking now that my (MFI turbo) pump may be struggling... Although people say they are more than upto the job it might be duff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 pm 

This is what I have. I can see that the plug has been changed on this.

I am on OFAC management, I have noticed OFAC cars with a round plug and different ACT sensor to what I have. Does anyone know for definite what the deal is with these?

Google turns up a lot of conflicting information.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:42 am 
Badboy Moderator

I might have the whole injector part of the loom - does that come with the right plug? Think it was off an early 2i. Anyway - I digress, I have no idea on the plug or sensor, PF.com someone will know for sure and can help diagnose the running issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 am 

fuel pressure, it needs to be set static at 3BAR as far as i remember.
when vac pipe connected the pressure will drop, but the engine is sucking at that point so will still have a 3BAR differential.
on W.O.T. it will raise close to 3BAR again in the rail and above on boost.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 pm 

Can you explain that in a way that even I could understand please dude pmsl

Car running with the vacuum hose off the regulator and blocked I should have 3 bar on the gauge?

What's W.O.T mate?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 pm 
Badboy Moderator

Wide Open Throttle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 pm 

Ahhh thankye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:00 pm 

Mannion @ FPE wrote:

This is what I have. I can see that the plug has been changed on this.

I am on OFAC management, I have noticed OFAC cars with a round plug and different ACT sensor to what I have. Does anyone know for definite what the deal is with these?

Google turns up a lot of conflicting information.

Thats the right ACT sensor mate, xr2i ones fit directly into the inlet and the turbo ones go into a adapter which you have.

Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

Thanks mate that's one less thing to think about.

I've got an odd injector - 4 blue and one greeny one - has the same numbers as the other but they clearly aren't a set so I've bought another set from eBay to clean up and fit and someone has been kind enough to lend me another pump so I can compare and see if mine is tired.