It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: FAQ - Injectors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:27 pm 

I had a bit of spare time one eve and after reading a bit about injectors it was quite interesting to plan what I'd like in my ERST for future. Hope its correct and if helps the bomber man may put it in the FAQ.

FAQ - Injectors
If your in persuit of more power from your fuel injection engine then your bound to need to upgrade your fuel injectors at some stage, as running the wrong injectors may cause your engine to melt, blow or even damage the ECU - non aiding the stretch to more power :p

Always remember that a re-map will be needed after changing your injectors, altering the ECU to deliver the increased amounts of fuel needed by the larger injectors. So remember to budget for this not just the parts.

The injectors fitted should be spec'd for your own personal engine as if you have too much fuel flow it will cause overfueling and will be difficult to get it to idle or smooth cruise, whilst too little flow rate will cause fuel starvation at higher rev's and damage your engine.

What injector flow rate would I need for my engine?
A very handy calculation provided by Steve Scort:
Multiply estimated horsepower (HP) of your engine by the brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC)* and divide by the number of injectors and the desired duty cycle and you will get a rough estimate of injector size:

InjectorSize = (HorsePower * BSFC) / (#Injectors * DutyCycle)

A rough guide to what injectors you will need for common modified Ford CVH and Zetec BHP outputs:
200bhp = 305cc
250bhp = 389cc
300bhp = 462cc
350bhp = 534cc

Bosch 0280 150 701 injectors (Beige)

Beige injectors (701's) seem to be the most common choice when first upgrading. This would be the best first step upgrade along side a 195bhp powerchip and a -31 actuator.
Expect to pay around £220 for a new set.

Genuine Ford Racing fuel injectors (Manufactured by Bosch)
These are saturated injectors, so will work with EEC-IV, OFAC/OFAB

(Quote of description given by member 'Scort')
Ford Racing has flowed a large quantity of injectors, sorted and matched injectors with similar flow rates. These injectors are then packaged in sets. The end result is fuel injector sets with very small variations in flow. Typical production injectors can vary as much as 6 to 7 percent. These kits vary less than 1 percent, but typically vary less than .5 percent. The result is improved fuel control and optimized performance, drivability and economy. These injectors are attractively priced and cannot be duplicated for the price. They are supplied with ford racing figures from flow testing.

PM 'Scort' for the following Ford Racing Injectors:
Set of four 252cc Saturated injectors,
£120 Including P&P

Set of four 315cc Saturated injectors,
£130 Including P&P

Set of four 440cc Saturated injectors,
£155 Including P&P

Injectors can either be high impedence or low impedence so make sure you match them to your ECU. For example if you are running a Fiesta CVH turbo or a ZETEC Turbo on OFAB engine management, which runs low impedence, then a set of beige 701 injectors will work sweet as they are low impedence, however, if injectors like the 803's are used (dark green in colour IIRC) they will not fuel the engine correct and may cause detonation.

I believe that light blue's are the limit on the injector front for OFAB or OFAC management so then you'll be looking at changing over to OMEX, megasquirt or Cosworth management.

Need a setup or remap then consider these firms...
http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk
http://www.area-six.co.uk
http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/

Always good to get a rolling road set up and then take your motor out on a road tune with a wideband lambda sensor kit.

I hope some of this has helped, best of luck
James W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:34 pm 

nice post james;) also if you run high impedence injectors on a low impedence ecu you run the risk of damaging the ecu

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]