It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm 

With the engine and box back in I've moved on to the engine bay wiring and there's a wire at the front of the engine bay with the starter/alternator wiring that I can't find a use for.

It's a blue wire with white tracer and rectangular connector that sits with the starter wiring.

Doesn't actually look like the spade connector has ever been connected, so might be for something not used on my car.

I did actually label all these wires up before I took things apart, but made the mistake of using a cheap crappy Chinese pen with cheap crappy Chinese ink that's now become invisible...

Anybody got any ideas about this wire?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:03 pm 

Iirc you should have 3 cables to alternator 2x12v brown and another red?
Starter should have a spade connection to activate starter solenoid and 12v from alternator-starter- battery. Earth through unit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:10 pm 

Thanks for the reply Ben.

Looks like different wiring was used different years or with different types of starter/alternator. Mine's a bit of a mongrel thanks to previous owner, but looks like this should be about 1985 vintage.

My alternator wires have two reds to common large ring terminal (which fits to starter solenoid) and one blue, which has a female bullet which obviously connects to the blue wire with male bullet on main wiring.

For the starter, there's a blue/black wire with right angled cap that fits over round pin on solenoid and then the large red lead to the battery.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

Wiring differences between mk1, 2 early and late setups as well as cvh and ohv setups.

Have a dig through the Haynes manual is my best advice to you.

Jason.