It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 am 

Hi all,

I know I've asked this question before (along with countless others) but I keep thinking about changing my automatic gearbox for a manual, but the cost and amount of work and parts needed keeps putting me off, but it think it needs to be done, now ideally I'd like to go for a 5 speed but I think trying to find all the bits (including the right box) isn't going to be easy or cheap, now I think it's going to be easier to go for a 4 speed for the time being and may be change to a 5 speed at a later date.

Now I've done a few searches and got a little bit of info on the conversion but I'm still wondering what would need changing if I went 4 or even 5 speed, now my local strap yard has a 4 speed mk2 Fiesta in at the moment but they are a bunch of thieving tossers and are milking it for what they can get, they are not breaking the car yet (it's been sat on display for months) and everytime I ask about parts they seem to come up with excuses and ridiculous prices, basically they are going to get the highest price for the parts they can, now I may see how much I can get the parts for to do a 4 speed conversion (and hopefully save a bit of dosh having to buy the parts from Ebay etc and spend a shed load on postage costs, which adds cost to the conversion), I think if I go 5 speed I will have to get a lot more parts that will be harder to get and cost more than a 4 speed (gearbox, 5 speed linkage, cross member etc).

To sum up what I think I need so far is as follows,

4 speed box.
flywheel.
Clutch.
Bellhousing metal sandwich plate thingy.
Clutch cable.
Throttle cable for manual (getting rid of the awful throttle bar and kickdown quadrant)
Gear stick and linkage.
Clutch and brake pedal (already ordered from Ebay cheap)
Gearstick boot for centre consul.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I've missed something, I think it will be cheaper and easier to go 4 speed as it seems more and more people seem to be ripping out standard engines and 4 speeds to go Zetec/CVH and 5 speed, so hopefully I have a much better chance of getting the 4 speed parts than the more rarer and more sort after 5 speed and also have less chance of making a cock up and getting the wrong parts like 5 speed gearbox (starter motor position etc), flywheel/clutch etc to fit on a 1.1.

Now the two areas of concern at the moment which I can't seem to find the answer to or have conflicting views are, do I need a manual rad and will the 4 speed box fit in the autobox cradle?

Sorry to keep bringing this subject up and thanks for any advice.

Many thanks.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

Your parts list is good i think.
I honestly can't help with the cradle as I've not done the conversion myself.

I do have a 4 speed box, linkage and flywheel if it's any use? Might have a few other parts too like the throttle cable,bracket and sandwich plate too.
I'd need to check those.
All items taken off my wifes '84 1.1 to upgrade it to 5 speed. The box is 'mint' without whines. That's why I kept it.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm 

Jason wrote:
Your parts list is good i think.
I honestly can't help with the cradle as I've not done the conversion myself.

I do have a 4 speed box, linkage and flywheel if it's any use? Might have a few other parts too like the throttle cable,bracket and sandwich plate too.
I'd need to check those.
All items taken off my wifes '84 1.1 to upgrade it to 5 speed. The box is 'mint' without whines. That's why I kept it.

Jason.

Thanks for the quick reply Jason, I've just been up the scrap yard to find out what's happening with the mk2 they have and they basically want to sell the car to someone in one hit who is prepared to strip the shell of whatever they want (but they can't have the bare shell) but they want £1500.00 for the privilege, so it looks like I'm obtaining parts from Ebay and forums/Facebook.

How much do you want for those parts and are you happy to send those parts via a courier (I don't blame you if you don't want to) but to be honest I wanted to get the parts over a period of time (in other words spread the cost) unless someone local comes up with the bits and doesn't want a fortune for them and then I'll scrape the money together, I'll put a little wanted add up on the FB groups to see if anyone local has anything and go from there.

I've just checked under the bonnet to see if there was any pipes going to the gearbox from the rad (like I've read) and there seems to be two pipes, are these oil cooler pipes or water pipes? if the autobox is removed do you just plug these pipes up as they're not needed anymore?

Cheers

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

Last edited by Pants on Sun May 28, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

That breaker is on drugs ,if it had an mot and was complete they would do well to get 1500 for it ! either take Jason's known good parts or buy a scrap mk2 and take what you need before there are none left :cool!:

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm 

xr2000 wrote:
That breaker is on drugs ,if it had an mot and was complete they would do well to get 1500 for it ! either take Jason's known good parts or buy a scrap mk2 and take what you need before there are none left :cool!:

The problem is there's none left, it took me months to find a Fiesta around here to buy, all the decent scrap yards around me have now closed, so it's near on impossible to find any Fiesta before a mk4, I couldn't believe my eyes when the one in my local yard turned up but it's just been sat in a display area for months, fair enough it's immaculate but they are using it as a cash cow, instead of letting enthusiasts have the parts at a reasonable price to keep their cars going they want as much as they possibly can for it, if they could sell the car complete to put back on the road then it would be worth the money but not for a few parts that you'd either wouldn't need or never make your money back on (unless you kept the parts stored a few years).

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm 

That's what happens when dealers get involved sure they got it for nothing as well. Wouldn't matter how long you kept the parts really if its base model bits they won't be very saleable,same as mk1 base parts, keep searching sure something will turn up. :cool!:

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 pm 

There is a breakers down your way. He's in Torquay.
He too charges a fortune now.
He used to be reasonable on prices.
Sadly he believes the hype on ebay about prices.

About my stuff.
Depending on how quickly you need it. Iight be able yo bring it to you. Or close.
I'll probably be in Torquay over the summer.
So could probably bring parts with me depending on what I'm driving.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:45 pm 

Jason wrote:
There is a breakers down your way. He's in Torquay.
He too charges a fortune now.
He used to be reasonable on prices.
Sadly he believes the hype on ebay about prices.

About my stuff.
Depending on how quickly you need it. Iight be able yo bring it to you. Or close.
I'll probably be in Torquay over the summer.
So could probably bring parts with me depending on what I'm driving.

Jason.

That's very kind Jason, I've put the feelers out on Facebook and a few offers of parts have come up, someone in Portsmouth not far from me is checking to see if he still has a 5 speed set up in his garage, if he does that will be brilliant, depending on what he has and how cheap it is, I may have to find some 5 speed bits afterwards (cradle etc) but that shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:47 am 

Id imagine your cradle would be ok with either a 4 or 5 speed box as they should have the same bolt patterns as your auto box.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 pm 

bert wrote:
Id imagine your cradle would be ok with either a 4 or 5 speed box as they should have the same bolt patterns as your auto box.

Hopefully, what's the difference between a 4 and a 5 speed cradle, ie why won't a 5 speed box fit on a 4 speed cradle?

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 pm 

Cradles 4 & 5 speed are the same.
Only things we changed were the box and linkage.
Early box to late box.

The box started leaking and the new clutch started slipping.
So i got another mk3 5speed box and got it refurbished.
Along with a mk3 flywheel ( 5 speed ) and a 5 speed clutch. The clutch is bigger than the 4 speed.

All good now.
:)
So i have a 4 speed box, linkage and flywheel for sale.
Not decided if I'm selling the 5 speed box. But it needs the seals replacing anyway.
Pretty sure i have a 5 speed linkage.
Definately have a puma linkage i might sell.
I don't think i have a 5 speed flywheel though.
The 1.3 ohv flywheel i do have spare is a different bolt pattern to the 1.1 / 950 ohv.

Jason.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:27 pm 

Jason wrote:
Cradles 4 & 5 speed are the same.
Only things we changed were the box and linkage.
Early box to late box.

The box started leaking and the new clutch started slipping.
So i got another mk3 5speed box and got it refurbished.
Along with a mk3 flywheel ( 5 speed ) and a 5 speed clutch. The clutch is bigger than the 4 speed.

All good now.
:)
So i have a 4 speed box, linkage and flywheel for sale.
Not decided if I'm selling the 5 speed box. But it needs the seals replacing anyway.
Pretty sure i have a 5 speed linkage.
Definately have a puma linkage i might sell.
I don't think i have a 5 speed flywheel though.
The 1.3 ohv flywheel i do have spare is a different bolt pattern to the 1.1 / 950 ohv.

Jason.

I see, I'm sure I read once that the cradles were different, unless I'm getting confused with the CVH/OHV tie bar being different, I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy with the 5 speed box and bits, not sure what he's got, if he doesn't come up with anything then I'll go 4 speed.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia