It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wing removal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:26 pm 

Im looking to carry out a few repairs on the front end (Mk2 XR2) and really need to remove the outer wings for decent access. Can anyone advise if it is realistic thinking to be able to reuse them or will the removal cause to much damage? Ive had a brief look and from what i can see its drilling the spot welds along the top and a bit of cutting on the front.
Any advice greatfully recieved.
Paul.

Post subject: Re: Wing removal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:04 pm 

Yes, it's possible to reuse them but you will need to be very careful, the joint where it meets the front panel can be a bit tricky, i had to make a small repair to the lip after removing mine. I also used a dremel to cut through part of the seam of weld down the a-pillar as i couldn't get the grinder in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 pm 

Ross wrote:
Yes, it's possible to reuse them but you will need to be very careful, the joint where it meets the front panel can be a bit tricky, i had to make a small repair to the lip after removing mine. I also used a dremel to cut through part of the seam of weld down the a-pillar as i couldn't get the grinder in.

Thanks for the information. Yes the front seems like the tricky bit. Will have a go & hope for the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:33 pm 

You could probably separate the wing/front panel slightly with a sharp screwdriver. Then grind with a thin disc (This from the inner wing side) You'll probably have to repair the lip after though. Just take your time as they will easily bend and dent if you're not careful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:33 am 

At the time i just ripped them off as replacements weren't too expensive, but now i realize how crap the replacements are i wish i'd tried to save them :wall: . try your best no matter how difficult it is, the crap they stick them to the top of the front panel with was the worst part.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 pm 

mk2fiestachris wrote:
At the time i just ripped them off as replacements weren't too expensive, but now i realize how crap the replacements are i wish i'd tried to save them :wall: . try your best no matter how difficult it is, the crap they stick them to the top of the front panel with was the worst part.
fiestaman1234 wrote:
You could probably separate the wing/front panel slightly with a sharp screwdriver. Then grind with a thin disc (This from the inner wing side) You'll probably have to repair the lip after though. Just take your time as they will easily bend and dent if you're not careful.

Thanks folks, steady away it is, hopefully re-use them.