It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mk1 Xflow won't start
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 pm 

I've been trying to start my Mk1 over the past couple of days and it just won't stay running. I'm getting spark at the plugs. The plugs are wet and I've even had the pipe off the fuel pump to check it's coming through and it is. I've put £10 worth of fresh petrol in. I've even checked the jets for blockages.

When I crank it and hold it then it sort of fires up. I get exhaust out the back and everything. But as soon as you let go it dies/won't stay running. I've got side repeaters disconnected and the fan is too but other than that everything is still plugged in. I've checked the earth to the inner wing and all is good. I pulled the relay wires off to do some welding but they're all back on now.

I'm jumping it off another car too so it's got plenty of juice. Just won't run. I only want to move it over so I can start replacing the other sill. I've not started it in months but it should be going by now. It just seems like I'm missing something simple.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 pm 

Has the dissy been moved at all ,leads of maybe ?

If it's firing on the key but won't run Id be looking at the ballast resistor wire connections as it uses voltage from the starter in pos 3 of the key but the ballast when in pos 2 :cool!:

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 pm 

Check for vacuum leaks.
Everywhere!

Worst case scenario... it's something like a gasket failure, sticky valve, piston rings..... etc..
But start with the simple stuff.
As mentioned, check the dizzy position.
Battery fully bolted up to positive and earth? Bad earth can cause no end of issues!!
Vacuum hoses in good condition? Manifold bolted up tight and not leaking? HT leads in the right order?

Jason.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:51 pm 

Leads and dizzy haven't been touched since I parked it up earlier this year. With the ignition on I'm getting 7V at the coil which I assume is correct? I've checked the earth to the inner wing from the battery and it's still the same.

I'll have to check the ballast wire when it stops raining. This all seems very strange because I haven't touched anything engine wise. I removed a few wires and headlights etc when welding but they all went back.

I'm getting spark and fuel so I'm confused.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:02 pm 

Dry the plugs and put a thimble full of fresh petrol down the carb barrel and give it a crank :cool!: If flames come out the carb floor it :drive:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:50 pm 

LOL!
As above..

I've had it before when a car has sat for a month or so without being started.. It just refuses to start.
It could just be damp and condensation in the workings of the engine and electrics messing things up.

It could be something that has broken down in the carburettor and it's really just coincidence it's happened now.

I've not done much with points.. I upgraded to later MK2 electronic ignition on the missus MK2 as I didn't want the mither. But I assume you've checked them?
I thought the voltage was supposed to be around 9v with the ballast isn't it? - Again, I'm not sure. Not done much with points other than pull them out and make "Ooh!" and "Ahh!" noises whilst looking under the dizzy after I pull it off the car.

lol.

Jason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:52 pm 

Got her going this afternoon. A wire was loose in a spade connector just after the ballast wire. I soldered it and she started straight away and ran like a dream :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:33 pm 

I was near enough lol :cool!: