It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:45 pm 

Evening Gents,

Well after a few hours scratching my head trying to work out what wire was what :wall: (I've never been very good with electrics), I now have Ian Dury (told you I was old) playing nicely in the Fez and I'm surprised that the 4 way speaker system seems to still work as well considering I just chucked the speaker wires together, anyway my questions are, is there a constant live behind the dash I can connect to to keep the memory on the stereo and what are the best make speakers to fit in the doors and rear sides without cutting any of the door cards (I want the door cards untouched).

Thanks guys.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:29 pm 

Red wire with a blue stripe is permanent live, if there is no wire being the dash tap in to the cig lighter loom. For speakers get what ever is on offer at halfords usually fli speakers 2 for £20 180w 13cm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 pm 

Aaron_xr2 wrote:
Red wire with a blue stripe is permanent live, if there is no wire being the dash tap in to the cig lighter loom. For speakers get what ever is on offer at halfords usually fli speakers 2 for £20 180w 13cm

Many thanks Aaron, I did wonder what that wire was for, I'll have a stroll round Halfords tomoz.

Cheers

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 pm 

I too rate the fli speakers.
Fitted them into the missus car.
Much better than the Sony ones in my xr2.

If you are still using the fader.. Remove it and rewire the speakers.
It's not great for audio at all.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:12 pm 

One thing to note about the speakers is standard is 10cm, my front door cards had been cut from new and had aftermarket grills on already. So when I changed the speakers I went for 13 cm, only two mounting holes line up but I didn't have to cut the inner door frames and they are fitted securely.

For the rears I just made speaker holders out of plywood as I didn't have standard ford ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 pm 

Fitment of 13cm speakers without door ( metal ) modification depends on the speakers.

First set of 13cm speakers I fitted to the festival, I had to removed some metal.
Others.. The Sony speakers in my xr2, fit fine.

The fli ones I bought for the Ghia were the 10cm ones and fit into the original speaker mounts.
Iirc, I fitted 13cm speakers into the rear using the original rear speaker mounts.
I drilled new holes for the speaker mount points into the metal bracket and mounted the speakers onto the rear of the mount. Using a nut to space the speaker cone edge off of the bracket.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:05 am 

Jason wrote:
I too rate the fli speakers.
Fitted them into the missus car.
Much better than the Sony ones in my xr2.

If you are still using the fader.. Remove it and rewire the speakers.
It's not great for audio at all.

Jason.

So you're saying the Ford fader isn't good for sound quality and it's best to run new cables from the speakers straight to the stereo?

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:06 am 

It will undo your improvements in sound quality if you live it in, all modern headunits control the speaker direction themselves so run entirely new speaker cables from the radio to the speakers. You may wish to leave the fader/wiring in place for originality but there is a blanking plate on all lower spec models if you do want to remove it.

Ian dury, if you're into that era you want a bit of Squeeze blaring out in my opinion!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:33 am 

Ross wrote:
It will undo your improvements in sound quality if you live it in, all modern headunits control the speaker direction themselves so run entirely new speaker cables from the radio to the speakers. You may wish to leave the fader/wiring in place for originality but there is a blanking plate on all lower spec models if you do want to remove it.

Ian dury, if you're into that era you want a bit of Squeeze blaring out in my opinion!

I see what you mean, personally I can't see the point in the fader, in my eyes if you've got four speakers then I want to listen to all of them at the same time, I'll run some new wires through when I put some new speakers in, I can't imagine the Ford speakers already in there to be much cop anyway and probably pretty poor condition if they've been in the car since 1987.

Can't beat a bit of Squeeze.

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 am 

I think the idea is that you can do things like reduce the volume in the rear (say you had a baby in the back). On modern head units the levels are there so you can fine tune it based on the size/shape of your car, so for example in a large estate with parcel shelf mounted speakers you may one the rears to be a notch louder than in a micra with them in the door cards because they are further away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:15 am 

I went to Halfords yesterday and managed to get a some 4" FLi speakers as recommended by Jason for the front doors and some 6" for the rears (on offer for £25, so how could I refuse), it took me most of the afternoon to do one side (I have to do everything in the road as I don't have a drive, so it's easier to have the door open on the pavement side and then I'll turn the car around when I come to do the other side), I rewired them and have bypassed the fader (it will just stay on the dash for show), like already said the front speaker went straight into the original holders and the rear speaker needed the bracket removing and basically cut across and modded with a bench grinder so that the top of the speaker screws to that and the bottom part just rests against the inner bodywork with a bit of sticky back foam attached to the speaker so it doesn't vibrate against the metal work (I couldn't be arsed to get the drill out to the car to drill new mounting holes), getting the rear side panel in and out was the hardest part but it already sounds a lot better and that's just with two speakers on one side, the original Ford ones where starting to crackle when you turned the volume up, so a good idea to replace them in my eyes, I'll fit the others during the week and that will be the interior done apart from a bit of tidying (the vinyl has started to come away from the backing card on the back side panel, so needs reglueing).

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am 

Id get the drill out, from your other posts youre wanting to keep it fairly original but that speaker install sounds like a bodge. Get yourself a cordless drill if its a long way to be reeling the cable out, it'll come in useful for loads of jobs.