It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:22 am 

......Am I destined to be driving the only standard mk2 in the next 10 years?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of speed and have in the past modded many a car with bigger carbs and exhausts etc, I'm also all for trying to improve or replace ageing engines etc BUT I recently joined a couple of Facebook Fezza groups and most of the posts on there are about 17 and 18 year old kids who have dropped a 2ltr Zetec in their Fez and are whinging about how their insurance is well over 2 grand a year, surely they should just buy a standard car and run it for a few years to get their no claims bonus up before doing any modding, especially if they are going to the extremes of slotting a much bigger engine in (I can understand the CVH route as it's a standard Ford factory fitment), I suppose I'm fairly lucky as I drive a lorry for a living and I'm nearly touching 50, so speed to me isn't the most important thing, I'm just finding a clean standard car with a nice set of alloys on it does the trick for me these days........Oh and space in the back for my zimmer frame and tartan blanket :lol:

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:35 am 

I hope quite a few standard ones remain but I'm as guilty as anyone for modifying them. I really like the looks of the Mk2 but I don't like the way it drives as standard, especially the base models without the anti roll bar. I haven't bought one and not had it in bits within minutes of getting it home, and it's not all about the power, one of the ones I own now has a 1.4 Zetec SE in it, more about updating it to a standard of modern equipment that I can live with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 am 

I'm guilty of modifying mine, it's main focus will be my track bitch though which looks pretty standard from the outside 8) :lol:

I kept my first car standard for a year and a bit before i touched it :cool!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:37 pm 

mines standard apart from wheels and lowered springs, ive had it 15 years and i only did those mods last year lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 pm 

I do have thoughts about zetecs in mk1's now and again but given standard power can show up what little traction etc these cars have I can only imagine having twice the original 84 hp (when new on 4 star !) must make them a bit scary :drive: I don't know how much a zetec costs to insure over here in Northern Ireland but at 43 I won't pay silly money when I can insure an old bmw 330d for 215 quid plus its a lot harder to squeeze one in a mk1 you have to destroy the inner wing for a 5 speeder !
Mk1 xr2 "feels and sounds fast" anyway till you try and exceed 80 mph then it feels dangerous and a bit scary :shock: :oops:

I am getting old too so lend me the tartan blanket please :doh: :lol:

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm 

xr2000 wrote:
I do have thoughts about zetecs in mk1's now and again but given standard power can show up what little traction etc these cars have I can only imagine having twice the original 84 hp (when new on 4 star !) must make them a bit scary :drive: I don't know how much a zetec costs to insure over here in Northern Ireland but at 43 I won't pay silly money when I can insure an old bmw 330d for 215 quid plus its a lot harder to squeeze one in a mk1 you have to destroy the inner wing for a 5 speeder !
Mk1 xr2 "feels and sounds fast" anyway till you try and exceed 80 mph then it feels dangerous and a bit scary :shock: :oops:

I am getting old too so lend me the tartan blanket please :doh: :lol:

I once did an old Hillman Imp up with all the goodies I could squeeze onto the poor little 875cc engine, I managed to get 115 out of it, with 12" wheels and drum brakes all round, scary stuff but it used to handle like a dream because it had fully adjustable race Spax shockers on it and would out corner anything, even if I couldn't out run another car it would have trouble keeping up with me around bends and roundabouts.

One of the reasons why I'm keeping the engine standard is because I'm running 2 cars and want to keep the insurance down, all I've fitted is a sports steering wheel and a set of alloys while be going on once I've sort of refurbed them, the suspension will be getting renewed to keep it road worthy and to pass MOT's every year with out worry.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:51 pm 

I personally would rather have a larger capacity engine that's unstressed at that power than trying to wring every last horse out of something that was designed 30 years ago. I'm surprised insurance is an issue if you're a bit older, I'm in my 30's and my insurance on a 2 litre zetec powered popular plus is only £250ish a year with all mods declared as a second car and the 1.4 zetec se was very similar, around £10 less last year (currently sorn).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 pm 

Ross I think it's the lack of classic companies here I can insure say an e46 or e92 m3 no bother but once it comes to engine swaps insurance freak out ,now having said that i haven't asked for a quote for a few years so it may well be better now .
I think I got a quote from footman james or one of the other uk companies a few years ago for amk1 zetec and it was like a grand ! feck that ! :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 pm 

Ouch! I usually get quite good prices from brentacre and lancaster on modified stuff but whether or not that applies across the water, i'm not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:23 pm 

Ross wrote:
Ouch! I usually get quite good prices from brentacre and lancaster on modified stuff but whether or not that applies across the water, i'm not sure.

Thanks will keep them in mind :cool!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm 

Ross wrote:
I personally would rather have a larger capacity engine that's unstressed at that power than trying to wring every last horse out of something that was designed 30 years ago. I'm surprised insurance is an issue if you're a bit older, I'm in my 30's and my insurance on a 2 litre zetec powered popular plus is only £250ish a year with all mods declared as a second car and the 1.4 zetec se was very similar, around £10 less last year (currently sorn).

I've paid £200 fully comp with full no claims protected and legal cover, windscreen and breakdown included and sports steering wheel and alloys declared, I'm only trying to save money as like I've already said, I'm running 2 cars and trying to do the fezza up as well as I go along, luckily the interior and engine are perfect and it's only the body work that lets it down and the suspension at the back is rusty and I feel it deserves a damn good clean up and repaint and the shockers and bushes replaced so I know it's not going to fail any future MOT's and will be one less thing to worry about.

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 pm 

I wrote our a huge post that's gone walkies.... never mind.

Insurance varies on many things. Area,age etc..
My xr2 is about £260 a year with all mods declared.
But on classic so no no claims.
But it is unlimited milage.

That's with footman James.

Jason.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 pm 

Thanks Jason ,as we are the near the same age :lol: it would be interesting to see how much footman james wanted for me to insure a zetec over 'ere :drive:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:48 am 

Should be cheaper for you I'd imagine.
I'm in M32 postcode. One of the most expensive in the UK.

I thought you were younger than me.

Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:16 am 

I'm 43 and pay 215 for to cover the xr and supersport on a total of 3000 miles limited mileage classic agreed value policy so I doubt it lol :drive:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:20 pm 

Cheaper than mine.
Mine only covers my car.
Like yours, agreed value, the difference is the unlimited mileage.

Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:36 pm 

I'm 42 standard xr2 only pay £87 per year with Adrian flux and moaned cause went up from £67 lol I'm limited to 3000 miles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:00 pm 

Flippin' ek!

Last time I called Adrian Flux. They quoted me £1100!
Was 10 years ago. But I had full ncb then too!

Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm 

I've got agreed value of £4500 as well Jason not bad for car only paid £1600 for 3 years ago