It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Suspension bolt sizes?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:15 am 

Hi all,

I know I'm probably going a little over the top with this one but we all know what it's like trying to remove old rusted bolts, anyway does anyone know of a list of bolt sizes (thread sizes and lengths) for the front and rear suspension, so I can replace them with high tensile stainless steel items, I'm going to be poly bushing everything and replacing the shocks with standard spec gas versions soon, so after I've threatened all the rusty bits with a wire brush and given said bits a damn good hiding with some black Hammerite (what the hell's happened to that sh!t, it's like painting with piss :evil: my how times have changed), I'd like to further increase the longevity of that area with non rusting bolts.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 am 

Well it seems I should have done a Google search first :oops: it seems that Stainless bolts are not strong enough for high stress situations, so in that case I'll just get a replacement set from Outlaw motorsport instead.

Cheers

Pete

MK2 1.1 auto Ghia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:01 am 

Yep.
Was going to say..

Stainless is nice and shiny to look at. But don't use it for anything needing strength.

Ford still sell the bolts for all the suspension parts. Or did about 12months ago. But depending who you talk to, may need to buy a box of 10.
Just buy the 10. Sell the ones you don't need on eBay with a 200% increase on price and attach the word "rare".

Done.

Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:17 pm 

I know stainless isn't recommended but just look at the points the bolts attach to on a fezza , these will fail long before the bolts :blub: best to stay legal though and I got my standard 8.8 grade engineering bolts at a local builders suppliers for not much cash just take your old ones along to get the right sizes . :cool!: Ford did dell the lower shock bolts for about 3 quid each last time I got ones and these are the only highly stressed ones on the car :D

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr