It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 am 

1st problem is im getting a little pop out of one of the carbs (running twin 40s) i think it could be a bad valve or timing not sure which one but as its only one pot that seems to do it guessing valve anyway to check ?

second problem which made me look like a royal d!ck today is went to fill up and the car decided to p all over the floor looked like it was coming out from where the filler neck meets the fuel tank didnt get underneath to look as didnt want to get soaked in fuel if this is the problem whats the cause is there an O ring or something that may have perished

The best engine in the world is the vagina. It takes any size piston, is self lubricating, starts with one finger and every four weeks does it's own oil change.....................................It's just a pity the management system is so damn temperamental!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:02 am 

Yeah. O ring between the tank the the filler pipe as I recall.
Could also be corrosion. i.e. The tank has a rust hole.

The tank on my Cortina is a holey mess!
i.e replacement tank.

The popping..
Carb balance, Timing, valve not sealing....

Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:21 am 

yeah hoping its not rotten tank thought it might be an o ring gone was also wondering about getting a pipe welded on in replacement of the filler neck if this was the case to stop it happening again

and yeah thought as much about the carb but how do i check if it is a valve not seating propperly ? and how do i fix it or is it a head off job and re grind the valve

The best engine in the world is the vagina. It takes any size piston, is self lubricating, starts with one finger and every four weeks does it's own oil change.....................................It's just a pity the management system is so damn temperamental!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:30 am 

Valve?
I'd guess a compression test.

If the valve isn't seating properly. The compression will be down.

The tank. Probably best to get underneath and check.
You may have to move a rubber cover out of the way to check the seal against the tank.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:42 am 

cool just bought a compression tester so thats kinda handy

yeah i will next time im with it but whats your thought on the solid pipe idea cant see that it should cause any problems really and solves the problem of having to have o rings that perish around a fuel tank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:09 am 

The filler neck isn't just a straight pipe.
It's shaped.
It also has a second pipe in it that 'splashes' the fuel filler nozzle to stop the fuel spilling over when you fill up at the petrol station.
So I don't know really.

Plus. There's the added agro of trying to weld to fuel impregnated metal and fuel vapors too.

Best to check first and see.

Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:25 am 

cheers didnt know about the other pipe and didnt think about the metal having petrol actually init might not weld the best maybe im better off replacing the ring then cheers anyone know if ford still do the o ring for it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:56 am 

There is a thin overflow pipe on the top of the tank on mk1's and due to the design if you fill right up the filler neck its higher than the overflow pipe and it runs out over the forecourt , been there done that,left about a pint on the ground :oops:
As for carbs they need balanced so all the butterfly's open together if you just slap them on they can be way out...You get a carb balance thing for that that shows the air they are using,you just stick it in the trumpet and adjust the balance screw between each barrel. :cool!:

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:40 pm 

xr2000 wrote:
There is a thin overflow pipe on the top of the tank on mk1's and due to the design if you fill right up the filler neck its higher than the overflow pipe and it runs out over the forecourt , been there done that,left about a pint on the ground :oops:
As for carbs they need balanced so all the butterfly's open together if you just slap them on they can be way out...You get a carb balance thing for that that shows the air they are using,you just stick it in the trumpet and adjust the balance screw between each barrel. :cool!:

the ammount that cam out i doubt it was an overflow pipe lol and cheers i thought they where balanced but will have to check again sounds like an easy tool to use ill buy one and check next time im with the car as not going to see it again for 4-5 weeks now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:30 pm 

Anybody know if this seal will fit a mk2 fiesta i know its for a mk3 but from having a butchers they look the same but im not sure but cant find a mk2 one for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-F ... SwQM9UYySn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:51 pm 

Could just as easily be the sender seal and id be having a check the tank isn't rotten before spending £25 on a seal ,silly price that !

Image20180413_181756 by Leslie, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:42 pm 

Yep!
The one I bought of of the guy on eBay was about £4.

Jason.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm 

Popping possibly due to leak on inlet side, which would most likely happen when on the overrun (i.e. when you've lifted off the throttle).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 pm 

xr2000 wrote:
Could just as easily be the sender seal and id be having a check the tank isn't rotten before spending £25 on a seal ,silly price that !

oh i will be checking it all 1st before buying anything but iv had tank out before to replace the sender unit and the side the fuel was coming from im almost 100% its not the sender unit seal and that theres no holes but ill drop tank and take a look before i buy
Jason wrote:
Yep!
The one I bought of of the guy on eBay was about £4.

Jason.

link or help would be appreciated ;)

grahambell wrote:
Popping possibly due to leak on inlet side, which would most likely happen when on the overrun (i.e. when you've lifted off the throttle).

it does it when idleing tho so not lifting off but will keep that in mind cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:27 pm 

I've got new seal somewhere will find it £5 posted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 pm 

5tevi3 wrote:

top man drop me a pm if you find it and ill paypal you the money :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 pm 

MrMawson91 wrote:
5tevi3 wrote:

top man drop me a pm if you find it and ill paypal you the money :)

Found it but there only £3.48 direct from retrofordinternational.co.uk just checked they got them in stock so going keep mine has spare they got them springs you needed for linkage to

Last edited by 5tevi3 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm 

cheers fella i shall check them out right now

Had a look but cant find it ? you got a direct link to it ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:03 am 

http://www.retrofordinternational.co.uk ... -831-p.asp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:05 am 

5tevi3 wrote:
http://www.retrofordinternational.co.uk/fuel-tank-sender-seal-831-p.asp

wrong thing man looking for the filler neck seal altho it does look like they might have that aswell

i think this one will fit

http://www.retrofordinternational.co.uk ... -477-p.asp

Last edited by MrMawson91 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:06 am 

Sorry thought that was it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:12 am 

5tevi3 wrote:
Sorry thought that was it

no worries man handy site to know of got some good stuff on there and cheaper than most other places

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:14 am 

They were at Santa pod classic ford last year fast posting stuff out to

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 am 

5tevi3 wrote:
They were at Santa pod classic ford last year fast posting stuff out to

cool, good to know there a good company

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 pm 

anybody know if these are any good and if they are compatible with down draft carbs ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARB-BALANCER ... SwKrxUZgcf

another question is it better to use this type or the vacuum type ??