It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stateside MK1 ST170 swap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm 

Finally started my SVT (st170) Focus engine swap. I actually sold this shell to a friend of mine about a decade ago, and last summer it made its way back home to me, so I decided to finally do the Zetec swap. I figured if I was going to bother with an engine swap, I may as well use the most powerful one available, so I started looking for a suitable donor car. After a few weeks , I came across this 2004 SVT Focus that was just what I was looking for, and towed this home to start stripping it down.
ImageUntitled by saron81, on Flickr
I pulled the engine, trans, axles, fuel system, pcm, and all the wiring required to make it run.
I wanted to use as much stock Focus stuff as I could to make the swap easier, and serviceable down the road. Its done a little differently than most I’ve seen. I’m using stock Focus engine mounts on the top, with a custom made bottom mount.
I copied the shell modifications I had seen on a car online (maybe here?) don’t mind the hacked up inner fender, it’ll be fixed properly. The black paint is just to keep it from rusting.
Modified trans mount bracket:
Mocking up mount brackets:

Welding them in:

Right mount:

Left mount:

Bottom mount:

Im also using the stock variable length intake manifold. The lhd cars don’t use the brake transfer bar, so there’s a little more room back there. I had to switch to a pedal box, and modify the shifter cable bracket to clear the steering rack, but it fits!

You can also see my rear mounted alternator setup. I’m using a Mazda 3 tensioner pulley on the Focus’ power steering pump bracket to keep my water pump running the proper direction.

Next I modified the stock header by cutting off the down tubes, and replacing them with some 90 degree bends, and a nice collector.

That’s about where I am. Need to order a radiator from over there (mk3 Fiesta... never sold here)
And plumb the brakes and hydro clutch next. Then wiring. Then figuring out axles. My hope is to try and get the focus axle cut to length and re-splined so I can use the fiesta outer joint on it. If that fails, I’ll look at sleeving and welding them together. If THAT fails, there are companies over here that make custom ones, but they are not cheap!
Im using the stock pcm to keep the vvt and imrc. Using the stock Focus pcm controlled returnless pump in the Fiesta’s tank with a support/baffle welded in the bottom.
Hoping to get it running by the summer, but the bodywork and paint might not be done by then.

Bonnet clearance:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:26 am 

Interesting install.

Sadly we don't hear much of US Mk1's on here. :(

Jason.