It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ST170 Standard Inlet..?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 am 

So, popped my engine in for positioning and to work out where mounts should be.

There seems enough room to use the standard inlet:

Unless my positioning is off? Why don't people use it? I'd rather use it at the mo as TB's & management aren't cheap.

Also, if i mount it using standard st170 mount and a gearbox mount and a brace at the back, can I do away with the cradle?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 pm 

I take it you've not used the cradle at all as it looks very far forward compared to mine. Without using any of the original mounts how can you get a reference to make sure you have positioned it correctly? Will you have room at the front for the rad, hoses, exhaust and alternator? Will the gear linkage reach?

I'm not knocking what you've done as it could be a revelation if it works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:55 pm 

Well I havent done anything yet, I don't have a cradle at present, I'm currently trying to figure out what's best to do so i just hung the engine in the bay to see what the score is. I take it it's worth getting one even if it's just to sort out the alignment? Something bugs me about them and I'd rather not use one if possible.

I'll need driveshafts made anyway (st170 box to mk1 hubs), not given a thought to cooling yet, though space can be found I'm sure, even if it means chopping a bit out. A small forklift alternator or something similar will be used and the linkage is from the st170 too so will go wherever it fits. I would much rather spend a quid on getting welding done than thousands on management for the sake of using the cradle :-/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:05 am 

Well seeing as your going MTX75 and cable linkage I'd say mount it where it fits. Most (like me) use a BC or iB5 so it makes sense to keep everything in the same position, but judging by the set-up your planning it sounds like you relish a challenge and aren't afraid of a bit of fabrication.